Back Obtaining Standard & Preferred carriers

P
phredman Sep 8, 2008 5:55 PM
Recently, I had a Preferred Carrier approach me for an appointment. The Rep came back and said that I wrote too much non-std.I had another said I needed a book over a $1 mil,before they will talk to me. I have a few preferred carriers.I need more. I want to increase my retention by trying to rewrite my customers, when there is a chance to put them in a standard to preferred carrier. I just lost a long time customer,with 6 cars because of this. Any suggestions? I'm a young agency,going on 2yrs, in Las Vegas Thanks !
S
SSageIns Sep 9, 2008 4:38 PM
I'm a new agency owner with an old book of business. But the business that I purchased was heavy in commercial lines with almost no personal lines. I have become a member/affiliate of Networked Insurance and Superior Access. This allows me to write with standard markets without the quotas. It also allows me the opportunity to get a feel for which carriers are effective in our area. As I place business throughout the year I can see which carriers I write the most business with, from there I approach those carriers for a direct appointment. I will already have a book of business with the carrier so the quotas are not as hard to meet. Best of success to you!
K
kbaxter Sep 11, 2008 10:44 AM
Check out www.TrytonInsurance.com We may be able to help you!
S
Spectrum511 Oct 13, 2008 3:42 PM
There are several sites and assocaitations that allow you to quote with standard markets without a minimum production. Some of the better ones we have used include BIg I Markets through the Indpendent Insurance Agents, Agent Secure and Inurance Noodle. Some of the platforms give you increased commision if you do $10k in premium some charge a fee that they waive if you meet certain tagets. Check with INdependent Insurance Agents and Professional Insurance Agents in your state as it varies from national programs to state sponsored programs within each assocation
G
gregcw Oct 14, 2008 2:21 PM
When I broke off from a captive appointment with Farmers Insurance Group (FIG) after seven years, I first contacted regional carriers for my preferred markets. Captive is not really the correct term for FIG. Their agents are actually encumbered since they can place business outside of FIG if not acceptable to FIG. It sounds like you already have a few regional appointments and my experience is that they are usually fairly comptetive with the National Carriers. My first National Company was Maryland Casualty after five years as an independent, followed by MET P & C two years later. Subsequently Maryland Casualty withdrew from my state and every state west of the Mississippi, although I still have commercial access to them through Zurich. I don't know what regional carriers are available in Nevada, but I find, in Oregon, that they are frequently competitive with the National Carriers. It may be that you're not exercising enough patience at this point in time. You also don't mention any association memberships like PIA or IIAB. Here you would be able to meet, and build relationships with Company Field Reps., which is the first step to obtaining appointments. You may also want to persue a professional designation like CIC or CPCU Even when I was rebuilding after breaking away from FIG the companies all wanted a 'Track Record' of loss history and I was able to show them seven years with FIG. In the early stages losing a customer that generates a lot of premium does hurt a lot but over the years it will continue to happen. Best of luck and be patient. Gregcw, CIC
S
salas Nov 18, 2008 1:26 PM
Recently, I had a Preferred Carrier approach me for an appointment. The Rep came back and said that I wrote too much non-std.I had another said I needed a book over a $1 mil,before they will talk to me. I have a few preferred carriers.I need more. I want to increase my retention by trying to rewrite my customers, when there is a chance to put them in a standard to preferred carrier. I just lost a long time customer,with 6 cars because of this. Any suggestions? I'm a young agency,going on 2yrs, in Las Vegas Thanks !
Please visit our website; www.ebi-ins.com or call Maria Salas at #310-824-0111 ext. 252 Personal Lines Manager

Please login or register to leave a response.